Podcast

Thursday night I was supposed to be on a podcast, and I’m not going to lie, I was really nervous. Kevin even told me to drink some brandy–just a little bit, to take the edge off. So I did, but then the podcast was rescheduled for Saturday night.

Bummer.

I’m the type of person when something I have to do makes me really nervous or anxious; I want to get it over with, like giving blood: sit in the chair and squeeze my eyes shut until it’s over with, hoping my vein doesn’t roll and it’s not going to hurt.

Now don’t get me wrong. Doing a podcast is nothing like offering a vein and getting your blood sucked out of you. I’m just saying, I was really nervous and would have liked to have had it done right then. But that’s okay, it was no big deal.

Two days later, it’s Saturday night. I looked at the clock and had an hour and half before the podcast. I hopped on Facebook and expressed how nervous I was. My friends answered with kind, supportive words.

The clock was ticking. I had half and hour to go . . .

Am I being dramatic?

Seriously, this is how it went, and I’m taking you on this ride with me.

I grabbed a brandy glass and poured a small amount of brandy in it. I started drinking.

There’s a trick to drinking brandy, by the way. You put some in your mouth, hold the liquid between your tongue and roof of your mouth, then swallow. Eventually, you get so used to it you don’t have to think about how to drink it, but if you swallow wrong, it burns your throat and chest and makes you hack . . .

Yeah, not good.

In case you’re wondering, I’m not much of a drinker, but it is nice to have one once in a while.

Back to what I was talking about.

I finished the brandy ten minutes before the podcast. I looked at the empty glass and wondered out loud if I should have just a little bit more. I felt somewhat relaxed, but not as much as I wanted to. But then Kevin told me, it might not be a good idea because the alcohol in brandy tends to sneak up on you. I listened to him, set the glass down, picked up my notebook and the phone and headed down the basement.

I spoke to the gal who was going to interview me before we started the podcast. She was very nice and easy to talk to. So much so, when the podcast began, I wasn’t as nervous as I thought. Usually, when I’m really nervous, my chest and throat tighten up, and I can barely breathe. I was so scared that was going to happen, but it didn’t.

Was it the brandy that rescued me from having to endure what could have been a half hour of choked, breathless replies? Or was it because Deborah (the interviewer) was so easy and fun to talk to? Or was it both?

I don’t know.

What I do know is, I did enjoy myself, but I stumbled a few times, and I may not have explained some things correctly. I can’t remember though. But like I told you in my last post, my mouth tends to move quicker than my mind, which sometimes causes me to say things wrong.

Does that ever happen to you?

One of the many things I love about writing is you can write things out, reread it, think about it, and delete it if it’s wrong or not how you want to express something. But speaking is a whole different ballpark. I wish I was an articulate speaker, but I’m not.

After the podcast, Deborah told me I did great, and she was excited about it. She asked me how old I was, so I told her. She thought I was 18 . . .

Well, I guess I do talk (here we go with the talking thing again) like a teenager. I guess because I still feel like one, which if I think about it in a positive light, is why I can write young adult books with no problem. I think for as long as I’m alive, I’ll always feel like a teenager, and I don’t see anything wrong with that. Yeah, I’m mature, but I’m also light-hearted and have my silly moments.

Anyway, I should be getting the link to the podcast any time now. When I do, I’ll post it here.

Now, I must return to my second book in the series. I’m rereading it, and then I’m going to do some revisions before sending it to my editor who is waiting for it right now, so I best get busy. :)

0 comments: