Book Review on One By One by Yawatta Hosby


I was happy to receive a signed copy of One By One by Yawatta and promised to give an honest review.

Okay, let me tell ya, if you’re into movies like Scream, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, you’re going to dig this book. I grew up watching those movies, so when I read this book, it took me back to my teenage years. I was suddenly fourteen, sitting in the dark with my friends on a weekend night, watching a horror movie. I treasure those times and couldn’t help feel nostalgic as I was reading this book.

One By One is about Rae and her older brother Kenan. Years ago their parents were brutally murdered at their cabin deep in the woods in Virginia. They saw the whole thing and since then it haunts their waking hours. Kenan talks Rae into going back there to meet a guy who wants to buy the cabin. At first she objects, but then finally agrees to go. Kenan tries to make it a fun trip for Rae by inviting a group of their friends along. Rae’s best friend Marissa, though, picks up a stranger and invites him along. His name is Adam. Pretty boy. Mr. Zipadeedoo. Nobody is pleased about it, but nevertheless, they allow him to tag along.

What I really like about this book is the human psychology Yawatta implemented into this story. She skillfully shows how each character reacts mentally and physically when people begin to die. Paranoia quickly sets in among the group when they discover a body. At first they point their fingers at Adam, but not too long after that, doubt seeps through their minds. Friendships crack as they become wary of each other, thinking one of them can be the killer.

My favorite characters in this story are Rae and Logan. Rae may be a broken shell of a person, which is totally understandable considering her trauma years ago–watching helplessly as both her parents were mercilessly slain, and she was raped. I don’t think anybody can ever recover from something that horrific. But regardless of what happened to her, she’s a kick ass person. And Logan . . . well, he’s a sweet guy. He’s somebody you’d crow about if he were your boyfriend.

Rae’s brother Kenan is very protective over Rae. He knows how mentally delicate she is and does his best to take care of her. I warmed up to him straight away because I always wanted a brother and thought he was so sweet and caring to Rae. But when he and his girlfriend Selma get into an argument, I quickly changed my mind about him. I thought he could have handled their lovers spat better.

Anyway, Yawatta keeps you guessing on whom the killer is.

Is it Adam, the metrosexual guy who would melt in the rain?

Is it somebody lurking in their neck of the woods?

Or is it one of them?

You’re just going to have to read One By One to find out.


I would recommend this book to anybody who is into this type of story.

http://www.amazon.com/One-By-ebook/dp/B00CX20LH0/


 

0 comments: