Rough Draft

12/10/2012 , 0 Comments

I did something I’m not suppose to do with my rough draft: I reread what I have written so far in my third book to my YA paranormal series. However, I have a good excuse. I haven’t touched it in months and need to finish writing it. Honestly, I forgot some of the things I wrote. So yeah, I broke one of the rules to writing a novel, but I had to. I finished rereading it on Saturday morning, so now I can complete the rest of the story.

Yay!

I do see revisions in my future, but that’s okay. Every book goes through revisions, and once I’m done with THE DEVIL’S THIRD it’ll kickass.

Anyway, I enjoy writing the rough draft to all my stories. I generally make it a rule not to go over the book or try to edit it until the draft is complete. There are writers who will write a chapter and afterwards they’ll review it for errors. If you’re one of them don’t do that. It slows the process and takes longer to churn out your novel. You’ll have plenty of time to go over it afterwards.


Believe me.

Of course, I’d love to have my first draft be perfect. Who wouldn’t? But in reality that doesn’t happen, and take it from Ernest Hemingway who said, "The first draft is always shit." So park the critic in you and write your story.

0 comments: