Can A Ouija Board Contact The Dead?

Since we're in the month of October and Halloween is just around the corner, let's get into the spirit (no pun intended) of things and talk about the Ouija board.

If you don't know what a Ouija board is, then you've been living under a rock. 

Everyone knows what a Ouija board is . . . at least, I think everyone does. But if you don't, I'll tell ya . . . 

-Well, I'll have Wikipedia tell ya: The Ouija sometimes also known as a spirit board or talking board, is a flat board marked with the letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0–9, the words "yes", "no", "hello" (occasionally), and "goodbye", along with various symbols and graphics. It uses a planchette (small heart-shaped piece of wood or plastic) as a movable indicator to indicate a spirit's message by spelling it out on the board during a séance . Participants place their fingers on the planchette, and it is moved about the board to spell out words.

Here's what it looks like:



SHORT HISTORY:
Spiritualism had reached America in 1848 when the Fox sisters in New York, claimed to be mediums and could receive messages from spirits who would tap on the walls when asked a question. The sisters would then translate the knocks into letters of the alphabet. At the time, spiritualism was growing and the Fox sisters helped popularize it. 
The living could contact the spirits of the dead.

You could communicate with your husband, brother, fiancee, or son, who had died in the Civil War.
How easily to be enchanted by a promise like that during a time when countless hearts were crushed due to the war. Hell, even now the hope and possibility to chat with your deceased loved one is too tempting to ignore.
Ya gotta at least try, right? Even if it's bogus, the weeping heart, the gut wrenching feeling of missing someone you lost, sometimes is too much to bear. 

I'm not ashamed to admit that if I ever had the opportunity to communicate with a deceased loved one, I'd try. However, I'd need absolute proof it was real in order to believe the encounter.

 . . . And I wouldn't use the Ouija board.

Why?

Because I'm not sold on the idea that I can communicate with a loved one through a talking board. 

I'd need to do a private reading with say . . . John Edwards instead, to see if he could deliver messages from across the rainbow bridge.

-Moving along:
In 1886, an article came out about a "talking board" that came out of the spiritualist movement in Ohio. 

In 1890, a business man named, Charles Kennard, created the Kennard Novelty Co. 
Guess what for?
To make and market talking boards.
Do you know how the founders of this spirit board got the name Ouija?
They asked the board what it wanted to be called, and it spelled out O-U-I-J-A. Then they asked the board what that meant, and the board spelled out G-O-O-D-L-U-C-K.
Trippy, eh.
 . . . Anyway, there were people who would warn others about using the Ouija board, but it really wasn't considered evil until the movie the Exorcist came out in 1973. 

After that, religious groups banded together in a collective mindset, telling their followers and others that the Ouija board was a tool to invite Satan and his demons into you and your household. They bred fear into the hearts of the innocent and would continue to by telling elaborate and fantastical, haunting tales about it.
I grew up with those stories, and the movie the Exorcist, scared me. 

It freaked me the fuck out.

My mom used to watch that movie at night while I was trying to go to sleep. She'd turn the sound way up, and of course I could hear it. 

I swear she did it on purpose.

I had to sleep with my light on and had nightmares for years because of that damn movie. 


Thanks, Mom. 

-Anyway, when I was a teenager, I played with a Ouija board several times and nothing extraordinary happened. So I don't know. 

I'd heard stories from friends and my own sister about what happened to them when they played with one. 

Honestly, though, I'm at a toss up on what to believe.
What about you? 
Have you ever played with a Ouija board before?
If so, did anything happen?



0 comments: