Hello World!

8/03/2011 2 Comments

Hey there. So this is my first post, and I have to say when I was thinking about what I was going to write on this post, it came to me out of nowhere. It was like the words were being whispered into my ear, but when I sat down to write it, my brain went totally blank.

Why does shit like that happen?

It’s like the Universe is totally screwing with you. It’s like when you get the dropsies (is that even a word?) for no damn reason. You pick something up and drop it. And then it happens again, and again, and again.

WTF.

Or you keep fat fingering a computer key and it messes up what you’re doing. I swear, sometimes I think there’s a phantom jokester who is messing with us, laughing his ass off. Sometimes I just want to flip him off and say, "Ha, ha. Very funny. . . . Dick."

Anyway, I’ve been wanting to do a blog for quite a while now, but frankly I’m a complete moron when it comes to technology.

Hell, my husband and I don’t even own a cell phone or even know how to use one. Isn’t there a button that says talk and that’s what you press to call someone?

If it was up to Kevin (hubby) we’d be living off the grid, deep in the woods in a cabin.

I’d love to live in a cabin, in the woods; however, it would suck ass if I didn’t have the internet or able to watch my two favorite shows (Vampire Diaries and Supernatural). Yeah, I could live without them, but they make me happy and gives me the ability to pursue my writing dream.

But any how, technology and me just don’t click. So my wonderful critique partner Valentina told me she'd help me, and she did.

YAY!

I imagine I’ll need some more of her help later, but for now I’m hooked up.

So I wrote a YA paranormal novel called BEYOND THE EYES, and right now I’m writing the sequel to it. I’ve been querying agents for a while now, and at the beginning I made the ultimate newbie mistake.

Okay, I’m cringing as I’m admitting to this, but I had sent out a butt-load of queries to agents when I shouldn’t have. At the time, I thought I was golden.

NOT!

I was too jacked-up and sent them out way too early. So I blew my chances with those wonderful agents. After I realized what I did, I wanted to strangle myself, and for several weeks a mantra went off in my head: dumb-ass, dumb-ass, dumb-ass.

Finally, I got off the self-depreciation little girl potty, and went searching for a beta partner(s). I had no idea how I was going to do it because I had moved to a town of 1,800 people in North Dakota 5 yrs. ago from Prescott, Arizona, not knowing a soul, and it’s still kinda the same way. I mean, we know people now, but we haven’t connected with anybody, so it’s basically Kevin and I. We do have neighbors around our parents age who we sometimes hangout with, and they’re both awesome people; however, they’re totally not into anything literary. So I was like, ‘What the hell am I going to do?’ Then I came across Absolute Write, which is a kick-ass website for writers. If you’re a writer and have never checked it out, do so because it rocks.

Seriously.

Once I had signed up with them, I put an ad out for beta partners and received a good response. That was where I met Valentina, my beta buddy :). From there, they read and critiqued my story, and I did the same for them, which was fun. They really liked my story and gave me some good advice. Nobody in my family has ever read my story, so I knew that they weren’t bullshitting me like my family might. Now I just have to find an agent and publisher who will love it as well. I also have to stop doubting myself. I tend to be very critical about my work, and I’m my worst enemy.

Wow. This blog is actually long, and I still have a lot to say even though I’m not sure if anybody will even be reading this. I guess I should quit for now and save the other stuff I want to share with you later, like why do I love writing paranormal books. Well, let me just say before I sign off that I grew up in a paranormal-type family. I’ll tell ya about it in the next post.

2 comments:

  1. I stopped by your blog today. Good luck with getting your book published.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, a post already! I'm so excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete