Taming Your Unhelpful Child Mind

9/30/2012 2 Comments

You’ve heard of having the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other, right? The devil taunts you into doing naughty things while the angel is the voice of reason. There was a guy on TV last weekend who was talking about us having two minds: the child mind and the adult mind. The child mind is the one who talks you into doing things that in the long run doesn’t benefit you, like eating food you shouldn’t be eating or overeating.

Example: I was grocery shopping and went through the bread aisle where there were also pastries, pies and cakes. I breathed in, loving that wonderful smell. Then I glanced at the cinnamon roll, went to go reach for it but stopped. I told myself I didn’t need it. Besides, I couldn’t eat a whole one in one sitting anyway. My child mind, though, tried to talk me into it. And then, when I rolled the grocery cart down the cookie aisle, I saw there were yummy cookies on sale. I hesitated. Again, the child tried to coerce me into buying some. I looked away and continued on. When I went to go check out, I discovered a shelf lined with candy I used to eat when I was a kid and still loved, like those bubble gum balls in different flavors. They were only 25 cents. I placed my hand on it, but then released it. Sure, I could have bought them. They’re not fattening. However, I knew my teeth would hurt if I were to chew on one.

Known fact: The older you get, the things you ate with no problem when you were younger, you can’t, like gumballs, gobstoppers, a bunch of fried food, etc. Well, I guess you can, but then you’d pay for it later.

Side note: I do eat sweets and fried food. I love it. I just limit myself.

The child mind also talks you into other things such as having another drink, even though you already have a buzz and are feeling pretty good.The child mind is the one who tells you to buy that nifty gadget or whatever, when you don’t really need it, and then you wonder why you’re broke all the time. If you live your life appeasing that part of your brain, it hinders your life. Now it doesn’t hurt to give into it from time to time, just as long as you don’t allow it to control you.

Anyway, I think if we’re aware of our child mind and tame it, life will be easier. Yeah, I know it sucks to go to a job you’re not passionate about. However, if you listen your adult brain, are smart with your money, advance yourself, and plan for your future, you won’t be a wage slave for the rest of your life.

It all boils down to this: Listen to the voice of reason, treat yourself once in a while and don’t beat yourself up if you make a mistake like drinking too much with your friends or buying something you regret later. Just as long as you learn from it and move on, you’ll be fine.

Angel= adult mind.

Devil= child mind (not evil, just wants to do what it wants to do, not caring about the consequences.)

2 comments:

  1. Excellent point! I hadn't thought about that side of me as a child mind, but it makes perfect sense. And definitely agree with your last statements. Listen to reason, but indulge once in a while-it's okay to do that. Great post!

    ReplyDelete