Interview With Author Magen McMinimy

Today I have Magen McMinimy here to tell us about her book called Immortal Blood. But before we start, I have to apologize for the small text. My computer is being weird, and I tried for over two flippin' hours to fix it, and it still came out small. So if your eyes are like mine--not so good--be prepared to squint a little. But don't allow that to deter you from reading this interview. You don't want to miss out on getting to know this wonderful author. 



Hi, Magen. Why don't you make yourself comfortable. I just made some French press coffee. Would you'd like some? Or if you don't drink coffee, I can make some tea. I also made some yummy homemade apple turnovers. There's a magical ingredient in it that makes the calories and fat content fall out with every bite.

Pretty, cool, huh?

--That would be amazing no calorie turnovers sound just perfect. LOL.

So why don't you tell us about yourself and when did you start writing stories?

--you’re not starting out easy are you? lol. Ok well, I’m a California girl born and raised though I now live in a smaller town in North Idaho and I love it! I’m married to a sweet man and I love it here. In 2010 I suffered a few medical issues that proved to make working a regular job very difficult. In 2011 I was determined to be legally blind, and thus my writing career began. I was home, reading and falling in love with the world of books again. I thought as I finished multiple paranormal series . . . what would I have done in the situations these characters were thrown into? How would I have liked to have seen the series progress, and was it different? So I took a leap and started writing my first book. The interesting thing was I never planned to publish it but my husband pushed and I published my first book, BLOOD CLAIM in August 2011.



What is Immortal Blood about, and how did you come up with the idea?

--Immortal Blood follows Bain, one of five Immortal Fae Warriors fighting to protect the human race from the Dark Fae. As he tracks a Dark Fae Luck Eater who has been attacking humans, Bain finds another victim in our heroine Isabelle; A feisty, independent woman who doesn’t believe in the world of the paranormal. Immortal Blood is the story of Bain protecting Isabelle while introducing her to a world of magic, legend and myth and of course it’s about the relationship that forms between the two of them.



Who is your favorite character and why?

--Oh I love them all, but naturally I have a soft spot for my arrogant hero, Bain.


What was the hardest part about writing this book?

--I wanted this book to be different; I wanted to create a totally new world and strong mythical creatures so I spent a good amount of time researching and studying everything I could get my hands on that referenced Fae legend.


How long did it take you to write it?

--I’ve been playing around with this concept for over a year now. I was still working on the final book of my Half-Blood Princess Series while outlining and creating the characters for Immortal Blood.


What is your favorite scene in this story and why? If you have more than one favorite, then just pick one.

--Oh man that is so hard, naturally I want to say the big love scene, but I think it might be Isabelle and Bain’s first real interaction. I love this scene because you get a good peak at what the two of them are like and you get to see Isabelle (Izzy) challenge Bain. (something he’s not used to women doing to him ;) )

Here’s the Scene if you want to share it:

. . . Izzy’s eyes widened a fraction as they drifted to catch Bain’s gaze; the violet glow of them almost hypnotizing her, that was until he spoke.

F***,” the brightness of his eyes intensified as he started a sting of cursing at her. “Why is it always f***ing vampires? You humans need to expand your horizons; I’m tired of being called a God damned vampire.”

Izzy arched her brows at that, her spine straightening from its semi huddled position that fear had frozen it in. Anger was quickly taking its place and was suddenly heating her veins. He didn’t need to curse at her, what the hell was she supposed to think? He had freaking wings and fangs.

Well excuse the hell out of me,” she shot out at him, “you have f***ing fangs and wings and you are clearly not human, my mind is a little muddled after you threw me a good twenty feet, attacked my date and flew me God only knows how far from the club and my car! Where I’d had a nice time and was enjoying the perks of my date.”


I read in your bio that you're fascinated with the paranormal world, so am I. What are you most curious about when it comes to the unknown?

--I just love the mystery of it all. And as an author I’m intrigued and inspired by the amount of my own crazy ideas I can put into my writing; there are no real rules.

I remember reading a review of my first book where the reviewer commented that they didn’t think my premise for the existence of vampires was believable and all I could do was smile and think . . . who was he to say that it wasn’t believable? Who really knows? That’s what I love. Like I said mystery.


Now, for some off-the-wall-brain-scattering questions.


If you could be a paranormal being, what would you be?

--Hmmm, a year ago I would have said a vampire. Now I would say a shifter where on a whim I could become anything I wanted.


Have you ever had anything unexplained happen to you before? If so, what?

--No not really, sadly my life has been pretty boring as far as the paranormal goes.


Do you believe in Faeries?

--I believe in a lot of things *grinning like the Cheshire cat* just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist..

If you found an ancient Ouija board, would you play with it?

--No way. There are two things that truly freak me out, that is demons and ghosts . . . oh and creepy little kids in horror movies!

If you were offered immortality and can grant one other person immortality as well, would you?

--The truth is I doubt I could take it if I couldn’t take my family with me. There are a few key people in my life that I could not imagine living without my husband of course, my parents and my sister and those people are the bare minimum.

Okay, back to being serious.

I understand Immortal Blood to be the first book in a series. When will the next book be out?

--I don’t know exactly. If I can keep up with the goals I have for my writing I would guess sometime late summer 2013.


Where can people find your book?

It’s available for the Kindle at

The Print addition will be available at amazon soon and is available now through Createspace at https://www.createspace.com/4046944



Do you have anything else you'd like to say or add to this interview?

--Just a big thank you, it’s been fun!


Thank you for stopping by and visiting with me. I enjoyed it.

0 comments: