Deprived.

4/02/2012 , , 0 Comments

We discovered a few weeks ago Kevin is allergic to sulfites. It does horrible things to his body: racing heart, fluid in the lungs, itchiness, hives, fatigue. It’s been going on for years, but we didn’t know what was wrong with him. For a long while we thought he had a gluten allergy. He stopped eating bread, and we basically lived off of meat and veggies for years.

Years!

But when we moved to North Dakota, he started eating whatever he wanted to, thinking it wasn’t a gluten allergy after all, but the stressful life we were living. So believe me, I was happy with that decision because it raised our food choices, and cooking a meal wasn’t so restrictive. However, he wasn’t functioning 100% and at the end of last year it all caught up with him.

To make a long story short, he cut out all sulfites from his diet, is taking a vitamin B supplement, and feels a hell of a lot better. He has no more of those spells and a lot more energy, which is wonderful, except . . .

(You knew there was an except in there, right?)

We now have to cut A LOT of foods, spices, and sauces out of our diet until he figures out what his body can tolerate.

*Big sigh*

So everything we’ve been cooking for the last three weeks is bland. He can’t have any onions, garlic powder or seasoning packets.

Nothing.

He can’t even eat pork because pork supposedly has sulfites in it.

Yup. That’s right.

No bacon.

*Sheds a tear*

But I’m not done.

The list goes on . . .

No eggs, no bagged potatoes. Only fresh potatoes.

No canned tomatoes. Only fresh tomatoes. So if we want tomato sauce, we have to make it ourselves, from the tomatoes out of our garden, which won’t be until later this summer.

No white flour because it’s bleached and full of preservatives (sulfites), which means no pizza, no homemade pot pies, no pies, no buttermilk biscuits or pancakes.

*Starts to bawl*

I’ve been supporting Kevin’s "new way of eating" by cooking and eating sulfite free food. And let me tell ya, my endurance to adhere to this sick-joke-of-a-diet is wavering.

Last week, I was totally craving onion rings.

Hardcore.

I ignored it for a couple days, but the craving grew into a snarling beast, biting into my thoughts until I couldn’t shut it out.

I completely folded.

Last Thursday after work, I stopped and picked up an order of onion rings at Eats and Treats, a Dairy Queen type joint. With a shit-eating grin, bag of yummy onion rings in hand, I went home, stood at the kitchen counter and wolfed them all down as if I hadn’t eaten in days.

They were sooo good.

After that, I realized I couldn’t stand shoulder to shoulder with Kevin on this Nazi food regimen. I just hope he discovers he can eat more things than he thought. Otherwise, one of the major enjoyments in life (yummy food) is going to be pulled out from under him.

Before this sulfite discovery, we didn’t eat a lot of junk food, and ate as naturally as possible. But at least we could have the things I’ve mentioned above and were able to go out to eat.

That’s another belly punching blow to one of the enjoyments in life.

Going out to eat.

As of right now, Kevin’s sulfite allergy is banning us from going to a restaurant. However, the gavel hasn’t been slammed on this insufferable way of eating.

There is hope.

Once Kevin figures this all out, I’m sure he’ll discover he can eat more things than he thought.

Anyway, I told him, I’d feel bad for eating the foods in front of him, he can’t have. He told me not to worry about it, and he doesn’t expect me to only eat what he eats. So Saturday, I bought corned beef (he can’t have it, but I love it, and it’s on sale right now) and yesterday I made corned beef and cabbage for myself. With the leftovers, I divided them up and froze them. That way I can pull it out of the freezer and have it for dinner when I get a hankering for it. I won’t though, make bacon when he’s home. I think that would be cruel because the smell of bacon alone makes your mouth water.

Well, this post is longer than I intended it to be.

Ooops.

I hope you enjoy your Monday. :)
 
 

0 comments: