Guest Author Interview

4/27/2012 0 Comments

Today I’m interviewing KC Blake about her new book called, Witch Hunt, which is the second book in her Witch-Game Series.

When and how did you start writing?

I was twelve, and it was a matter of boredom. My parents were on a bowling league. They would drag me to the lanes every Tuesday night. We didn’t have the money for video games, so I had to entertain myself. While my brother was getting into trouble, I was sitting in a corner, writing. Once I discovered how incredible it felt to create my own world, I couldn’t stop.

What can you tell us about your latest book?

Witch Hunt is the second in the Witch-Game Series, but you don’t have to read Crushed to read this one. Each book has a new set of characters and a new game to play. Witch Hunt follows Starr Hughes, a pretty teen reporter on the school paper who tries to find the truth behind a secretive game the popular kids are playing. She soon discovers that not only are witches real, they need her help. Someone is using the game to steal their memories, their powers, and perhaps even their lives. Starr is determined to catch the bad guy before he can hurt Dylan, the gorgeous boy she has a major crush on.

Which character has been your favorite to write for so far?

Jersey Clifford in the Rule Series beginning with Vampires Rule. I love him because he can say or do anything without remorse. He’s complicated, quoting poetry before he rips someone’s guts out. Even people who don’t fall in love with the book tell me they loved his character.

You have written about witches, vampires, werewolves, and wraiths. What’s next?

My hunter series is going to have a variety of new things (new to me anyway) like Reapers and vengeful spirits.

What are you working on now?

I always have several projects going at once. Currently, I am doing a massive rewrite on Shifters Rule, editing the next Witch-Game book (Raven’s Claw), and I am outlining Bait which is the first in my brand new hunter series.

What is your favorite YA book?

Hard to say. The first one I loved was The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton, but recently I fell in love with the Mortal Instrument Series. Even as we speak I am re-reading City of Bones. Cassandra Clare is an awesome writer.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Read everything you can get your hands on. Take a creative writing class and read books on the subject. Most of all, write every chance you get. You will learn to be a better writer just by writing and reading your own work.

If you could be one of your characters, which one would it be and why?

Kristen Noah from Crushed. She’s a tough cookie. I like her attitude and how she’s on the cusp of being a bad girl.

If you were stranded on a deserted island and can only have three things, what would they be?

I learned a lot from watching Survivor. I would want a sharp knife, unlimited matches, and a warm blanket.

If you had only one wish, and you weren't allowed to wish for more wishes, what would that one wish be?

That my books would be enjoyed by millions.

When writing your stories, what do you struggle with the most?

The first chapter. The first page. Actually, the first line. I have a terrible time beginning a book. It has to be just right. I have to find that perfect flow and set the mood that will carry the book to the end.

Do you ever have doubts about the story you're writing? If so, how do you overcome those doubts?

I have doubts when I first start a book. Usually I just keep pushing and writing until I find that perfect beginning. Although there are times when the story continues to elude me until I give up and move on to another story.

How can someone find you online?

I am all over the place. Goodreads, Twitter, Facebook, and a few others. My blog can be found here: http://kasi-kcblake.blogspot.com I have contests, a variety of posts, and samples of my books there. Feel free to check it out.

Thanks, KC, for stopping by, and I wish you well.

Side Note: I don't like this new Blogger set-up. I had the questions in bold and for some stupid reason, it screwed this post up. Therefore, I couldn't use it. Why couldn't they just left the other version alone? Gerrrr.
 
 

0 comments: