Interviewing My Main Character

A while ago, I had interviewed one of Paige’s best friends–Tree. His real name is Jack but his friends call him Tree because he’s tall and has a Mohawk. Well now I thought it was about time to interview my main character, Paige. I won’t though, ask questions that would spoil the story for future readers.

I’m interviewing Paige, via video chat. At the beginning of this series she was seventeen, however, she just turned eighteen this past May. Right now, she’s wearing her long, dark red hair down. I can’t help but envy how perfectly straight it is. Every morning I have to take a hair straightener to my naturally wavy hair to accomplish what Paige’s hair naturally does. She’s also petite like me, however, she’s a few inches taller than I. She’s five three and is wearing a white tank top and camouflage shorts. Her normally pale skin is nicely tanned, and I imagine it’s from hanging out at Cannon Beach with Nathan, Tree, and Carrie.

Me: "Hi, Paige. How are you today?"

She smiles and shifts nervously in her seat.

Paige: "I’m good. Thanks."

Me: "You don’t like to be the center of attention, huh?"

She tucks her hair behind her ears and shakes her head.

Paige: "No, I don’t."

Me: "I appreciate you allowing me to interview you, and I promise it’ll be short and painless."

A small smile forms on her lips, and she nods.

Me: "I know you can’t tell me too much because I just released your story to the world, and I don’t want to ruin it for future readers and--"

Paige: "Do you think . . . " She looks down.

Me: "What?"

She takes a deep breath and fixes her dark green eyes on mine. They look worried. I notice my heart is beating a little faster.

Paige: "Do you think the people who read this series will believe about the dark spirits?"

I shrug.

Me: "I don’t know. I wrote it as fiction."

Paige: "But since the human race has existed here on earth, there have been humans who have done some horrific things, like what the Nazis have done."

Me: "Yeah, I know."

Paige: "Or humans with super-human strength overpowering another human and performing cannibalistic acts on them."

I just nod, a little taken aback by this unexpected turn in our conversation.

Paige leans closer to the camera. The look in her eyes is sad, yet there’s a desperation in them that is alarming. My heart picks up speed again, and then she says two words that send chills down my spine.

Paige: "Dark spirits."

For half a minute we stare at each other. Her eyes are as round as her face. What she just said isn’t really news to me, but I can’t help but wonder if I had opened up a can of worms when I decided to publish this series.

I can hear a heavy door closing in the background with a loud thud. I blink, and Paige glances away.

Nathan: "Paige, Carrie and Tree are waiting for us at the theater."

Paige covers her mouth and looks at me apologetically. She drops her hand.

Paige: "Crap. I totally forgot. We’re supposed to see The Avengers this afternoon. I’m sorry, but I have to go."

Me: "That’s okay. We can finish another time. I imagine Tree is anxious to see it, huh?"

She laughs and smiles.

Paige: "Yeah. Tree and his superheros. You gotta love him."

Me: "My dad told me it was an excellent movie. He’s into superheros too."

Paige smiles again, and then Nathan kneels beside her. The corner of his mouth curls, and I can’t help but think how cute he is. His hair style reminds me of Brad Pitt’s character (Tyler Durden) in Fight Club–short brown hair, and spiked up on top–except Nathan has blond spikes. Nathan also has a boyish look, like Brad Pitt, but he doesn’t look like him. Nathan’s eyes are dark blue, and honestly, he’s cuter than Brad.

Nathan: "Hi, Rebekkah."

I can’t help but grin.

Me: "Hi, Nathan."

Nathan: "I hate to be rude, but I have to steal Paige from you."

Me: "No worries. I understand. You guys go have fun. I’m sure we’ll meet again in the future."

Nathan lifts his eyebrows and locks his gaze onto mine.

Nathan: "You can count on it."

Paige: "Let me know when you want to do this again."

Me: "Okay, I will."

Paige: "Thank you for sharing my story with the world, and just so you know, I have more to share if you ever decide to continue after the third book."

Me: "You’re welcome, and we’ll see how well this series does before I decide whether to continue it or not."

Paige and Nathan stand up.

Paige: "Well, if you do, let me know."

Me: "Sure thing. Now you two go have some fun."

Paige: "Okay, bye."

Me: "Bye."

Wow. That interview was certainly not what I had imagined or expected. We hardly had a chance to get to know Paige, but we’ll do it again some other time. I also would like to interview Nathan. I just don’t know if I can without giving too much away. Maybe when the second book comes out I will.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this interview. I didn’t plan it this way, nor did I change anything. I left it in its rawest form so it would retain its purity and essence.

My butt is numb so I best be off (not that you wanted to know that, but hey, I’m still going for the raw and uncut version). :)

0 comments: