I Have A What In My #Breast?

This year started out . . . different. I’ve been having strange symptoms for a year now and been running a 101 fever, not to mention I’ve been feeling like crap. It started out as my left arm being constantly sore to where I couldn’t lay on it. I went to a physical therapy, because let’s face it; I sit on my ass a lot at my day job and when I’m at home writing and connecting with other people. So I thought my shoulder was jacked up because of the way I was sitting in my chair. 

I was right. 

The muscles in my shoulder were tight. The P.T. cured it; however, my arm still ached, and I still couldn’t lay on the dang thing, which is annoying because that’s the side I sleep on. Then I started experiencing a warming and tingling sensation on the left side of my chest and breast. It felt like something was growing inside it. The writer in me imagined an alien fetus slowly developing inside my chest cavity. I ignored it because frankly I hate seeing a doctor, and I don’t have much faith in the healthcare system. A few months later, new sensations presented itself. Beneath my left armpit it felt like some dude was wrapping his hand around it and squeezing. I also had a discomforting feeling between my chest bone and left breast, like a splinter or nail was stuck between them. I still do, btw. I finally relented and saw a doctor last Monday.

Doctor: Have you ever had a mammo done?

Me: No. Two of my friends had one done and had such a bad experience that they’ll never have one again.

Doctor: Have you performed a breast examine on yourself?

Me: Yes.

Doctor: Do you mind if I perform one on you?

Me: *shrugs* No. You can if you want. Breast cancer doesn’t run in my family, but if you want to you can.

She left me so I could take my shirt and bra off, and then when she came back, she had me lay on one of those tables with white paper on top of it. She checked the right breast and then the left.

Doctor: You have some lumps here.

Me: Nu-huh.

Doctor: You also have fullness. It’s very full here. *she presses down and around my armpit area and I about jump off the table from the pain* Do you want to feel it?

Me: *nods and allows her hand to guide mine to where she was pressing* It does feel full, but it hurts too much to keep touching it. *I pull my hand away*

Doctor: I can have you do a mammo right now, but I prefer you have it done on Wednesday when an ultrasound tech will be available. I also want to run some bloodwork on you.

I said okay, got the bloodwork done and the mammo scheduled. That night I got a call telling me my blood results came out find, but they were still waiting on the rest of it.

On Wednesday morning I had the mammo. Thankfully, I used to work with the gal who was performing it—once upon a time ago we were coworkers at the clinic here in town—so she was really good. She had me wait for the results. Twenty minutes later she came back and said the radiologist saw something and wanted her to take one more picture. She did, and then I waited. She entered the room and told me they wanted to do an ultrasound. So I had it done, and then I waited. Finally in the end I was told it was a mass, but they didn’t think it was benign; however, they wanted to monitor it. The doctor prescribed anti-inflammatory pills for me.

WTH?

I received a call the next day telling me my vitamin D levels were extremely low. I’m now on 50,000 mili grams three times a week. I asked about the pain. The gal who called me seemed indifferent, almost callous. She basically told me I’d have to live with it, but I could get a second opinion if I wanted to.

Gee, thanks.

As of right now, I know 3 people battling breast cancer and an author friend of mine just found out last week she has it, so that makes 4 now. I’m baffled by the whole thing. I don’t know what to think. All I know is if this weird ass pain I’m experiencing won’t go away, I’m going to have to get a second opinion.

I don’t wanna.

We’ll see, but I sure hope this week will be better than the last, because as Paige would say, “It sucked ass.”

I thought I’d post this because I’ve decided I’m going to start sharing things about myself with y’all. I do plan on getting another blog since I use this one mainly for supporting other authors, but for the time being, I’ll post things about me and my books here, as well. I’m no longer going to be shy about who I am. If you like me and want to follow me cool, if not that’s fine too. If you don’t know who I am, check my bio. I’m also a dirty minded, sometimes foul mouth girl who has an irreverent sense of humor. I’m very honest, open, and loyal. This year you will discover those things and more about me, whether it’ll be here or on another blog I’ll be creating when time permits.

Anyway, in the near future, I'll be revealing to you Ameerah's cover. It's breathtaking. Her book will be published sometime this year. You won't want to miss this. 

Seriously.

So . . . 

  





0 comments: