Character Interview

3/05/2012 , 1 Comments

I was wondering what to post on my blog, and was debating on whether to update you guys on what was going on in my world, or do an interview with one of my characters. I decided on the interview instead, since it’s out of the ordinary, and to do something completely different, to shake things up a bit.

So today, I’m going to interview Tree, via video chat (not really, but it’s fun to pretend, right?). He’s one of Paige’s (main character) best friends. He’s seventeen-years-old, of German descent, six foot five, has a bitchin’ black Mohawk, and right now he’s wearing a Sex Pistols sweatshirt, black jeans, and black combat boots.

Me: "Hi, Tree."

Tree: "Hey. How’s it going?"

Me: "Fine. It’s snowing right now, and at the rate it’s falling, it looks like I’m going to have to dig my car out so I can go to work. I just hope the damn plow doesn’t come by afterwards and bury my car with snow again."

Tree: "That sucks. Too bad you can’t use a blowtorch and melt the snow."

Me: "I know . . . Anyway, I know your friends call you Tree because you’re so frickin’ tall, but what is your real name?"

Tree: "Jack."

Me: I point to the dot-sized indentation in the center of his forehead. "What’s the story behind that scar?"

Tree: He laughs and leans forward. "Paige did that to me when we were twelve. We were playing war with our BB guns in the woods behind her house." He smiles, and then animatedly tells me the rest. "You should have seen her. She stuck leaves and branches in her clothes and hair to camouflage herself and it worked. I was directly in her line of sight and didn’t even see she was there. Then, POW!"–he slaps his forehead–"I was done for."

Me: I laugh. "That’s funny."


Tree: "Yeah," he says, smiling. "Paige is cool. She’s like a sister to me."

Me: "So you’ve never had any romantic feelings toward her?"

Tree: "No." He makes a sound with his lips, as if he’s doing a raspberry, and rolls his eyes. "I don’t even want to think about what she does with Nathan. Even when she and Brayden were dating--"

Me: "Brayden? Who’s Brayden?"

Tree: "He’s our other best friend, but he moved to California a couple years ago. Paige and Brayden used to date, and he’s still in love with her."

Me: I raise my eyebrows. "Really? Does he know about Nathan?"

Tree: "Yeah. He’s pretty bummed about it too, and he’s determined to get Paige back."

Me: "That’s interesting."

Tree: "It is, but he needs to back off. Paige is in love with Nathan. Brayden can’t get that through his thick skull, though, and he hates Nathan."

Me: "What do you think of Nathan?"

Tree: "Nathan is cool. I like him. However, I did tell him if he breaks Paige’s heart, I’ll break his face."

Me: "Omigod! You said that to him?"

Tree. He grins. "Yup."

Me: "Paige is lucky to have you as a friend."

Tree: "Thanks. Carrie and I like to keep an eye on Paige because her father died when she was four, and her mom is a traveling nurse, so she’s never home. Paige doesn’t know this, but Carrie and I know that she gets lonely and misses her father."

Me: "That’s right. Carrie is Paige’s other best friend." I pause, noticing the spark in Tree’s eyes at me mentioning Carrie’s name. "You have a thing for Carrie, huh?"

 He glances away, his cheeks turning pink.

Me: "Sorry. I don’t mean to get too personal."

Tree: His brown eyes’ shifts back to me. "No, that’s cool. But yeah, I like Carrie."

Me: "Tell me more about yourself," I say, deciding to change the subject, to spare him from more embarrassment.

Tree: "Well, I work in my dad’s garage, rebuilding engines or whatever. I have an electric guitar, although I haven’t played it in a while. I have a huge collection of comic books. I used to be into the Power Rangers, and still know how to do their fighting moves."

Me: "Seriously?"

Tree: "Yup. The way they fought was badass."

Me: "I can’t imagine you doing karate moves because you’re so frickin’ tall and built like a bouncer."

Tree: He laughs. "Well, I haven’t done it in a long time," he admits. "But I’m sure it would come back to me."

Me: "What else can you tell us about yourself before we go?"

Tree: "Um, well, I like to go to The Lion’s Den."

Me: "What’s that?"

Tree: "It’s a kickass dance club for teenagers. They play techno, industrial, heavy metal, and punk music. It totally rocks. That’s where Paige met Nathan."

Me: "Wow. That sounds like a cool place. I wish we had something like that when I was your age."

Tree: "It is cool. The jocks at my school, though, call it The Loser’s Den, because they prefer country to that type of music. But most of them are douche bags anyway."

Me: "Well, I hate to end this interview, but it’s getting a bit lengthy. Thanks for the chat."

Tree: "No problem."

So there you have it, an interview with one of my beloved characters. He lives in Astoria, Oregon, and hopefully one day Kevin and I will get to go there (for real). That’s where the movie Goonies was filmed, and where my ‘Beyond the Eyes’ series, takes place.

Those of you who have been reading my blog know from the blurb I’ve posted, what the main plot is about. However, every story has subplots, and the tension between Brayden, Paige, and Nathan is one of them, and bleeds into the next two books.

I hope you enjoyed the interview.

Have a wonderful Monday.

1 comment: